We’ve posted a lot of information about Notaries Public and our services to this website over the years. But who can be bothered wading through it all?
In a nutshell, we want our clients to understand what we do, what we charge, and what they can do before we meet to save time and money. Here are the essentials:
1. Notaries Public, in New South Wales, are legal officers appointed by the Supreme Court of New South Wales and regulated by the Public Notaries Act 1987 (NSW). We’re like Justices of the Peace, but work with international documents and matters. We’re almost always solicitors or barristers too. Read more here.
2. Bodkin Wood Notaries Public is an independent firm of Notaries Public and an Incorporated Legal Practice based in the inner west of Sydney, just across the road from North Strathfield train station. We’re owned and managed by Jillian Cordeiro and David Kinnane, solicitors with over fifteen years experience in Australia and overseas. Read more here.
3. We notarise documents for individuals, law firms, patent attorneys and companies. We help clients with documents that need to be legalised by a foreign Embassy or Consulate, certified by an Apostille issued by the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade or other official documents to be lodged or presented to authorities overseas. Examples of documents we notarise include powers of attorney, mortgage documents, sale and purchase of land/real property agreements, oaths, statutory declarations, affidavits, birth certificates, drivers’ licences, residency cards and other identification documents, wills, marriage and divorce certificates, patents and other intellectual property documents, letters for minors travelling overseas without their parents, corporate constitutions and other documents, bills of exchange and even the odd ship protest. Read more here.
4. Our fees depend on the documents you need and how long it takes to get it done. We apply the scale of fees recommended by the Society of Notaries of New South Wales as published in the New South Wales Government Gazette for notarial services. But we’re flexible and offer volume and repeat-client discounts. We’re proud of our work and don’t under-quote or charge “hidden costs” – we tell you exactly how much it will cost before we start work Read more here.
5. To save clients time and money, we ask them to send us draft documents (where available) ahead of their appointments and to bring along originals of their passport and other identification documents. We prepare draft documents before you arrive so you don’t have to wait longer than necessary. Read more.
There are other Notaries Public around, and we rely on word of mouth and repeat business from satisfied clients. We want every one of our clients to be:
- fully informed about the process and cost before they visit our office;
- impressed with our efficiency; and
- delighted with the quality of our work.