What does ‘legalisation’ mean?

For countries that have not signed up to the Hague Convention (such as Singapore or Malaysia), we can check the requirements of that country to ensure that your notarised document will be in a form generally accepted by the authorities.  Often, this is achieved through  “legalisation” – by asking a Consular or other authorised representative of the relevant country to confirm the Notary’s signature and seal match their records.

To assist with legalisations, we have filed our Notaries’ seal and signature at most major Consulates in Sydney and/or Embassies in Canberra.

The Australian Department of Foreign Affairs & Trade (DFAT) can also help to legalise documents for countries that have not ratified the Hague Convention by providing an authentication.

Image: http://tinyurl.com/nkbyocf


View All